Message from class teacher
Welcome to the Year 5 Class with Mrs Pattison and Mrs Wimbury. Mrs Pattison is the Deputy Head and teaches the class all week apart from Friday when Mr Mc Alorum takes over. Mrs Wimbury is our Class Support Assistant. In Year 5 our work is split into three topics. In Autumn Term we learn all about the Victorians, in Spring Term we study Rivers, and in Summer Term we learn all about the Ancient Greeks.
Facts about the teacher
- Has two lovely children.
- Loves Pilates
- Likes Lipstick!
Checkout our class photo gallery.
Our work will link, as much as possible, to the topics we study during each term, so that the children can make stronger and more memorable links in their learning. In Upper Key Stage 2 we not only work very hard, but we also have lots of fun in the process!
Summer Term Curriculum
In our Maths lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- Place value, ordering and rounding
- Mental and written addition and subtraction strategies
- Understanding multiplication and division/ Mental Calculation strategies
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Shape and Space including reasoning about shapes
In our English lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- This term, the children will learn through texts linked with our topic, especially the Twelve Labours of Hercules.
- Children will also focus on improving spelling rules, punctuation, sentence structure, vocabulary and handwriting.
- Children will take part in Wow Writing every week which will be linked to the Ancient Greece Topic where possible.
In the Autumn term, the topic is the Victorians. Certain subjects will be linked to it, for example texts in Literacy and the work we produce in Art. Also, they will learn about digital literacy.
- In French the pupils will be learning to talk about other countries and in RE they will be learning about Sikhism.
Throughout the Spring term the topic is Rivers and certain subjects will be linked to it. For example, children will be investigating rivers within Geography. Also, they will use ICT to evaluate information. During this term, the children will visit Robinwood.
- Other areas of the curriculum will be Art, D.T, R.E. and French. The pupils will have swimming lessons this term.
During the Summer term the topic is the Ancient Greeks and certain subjects will be linked to it. Also, the pupils will use ICT to monitor the environment around them and learn about Digital Literacy.
- Other areas of the curriculum will be P.E which will be cricket, athletics and Bikeability. We will also be doing a lot of computing and digital literacy work.
- In science, the pupils will learn Living things and their habitats as well as Animals, including humans.
Trips and Events:
- SATs Week – 8th to 12th May.
- Sports Week – 22nd May to 26th May.
- Sports Day – 24th May.
- Key Stage 2 Performance – 28th & 29th June.
- Open Evening – 18th July.
- Reading – Bug Club.
- Wednesday – Children will be given a short task to complete, in preparation for WOW writing on Thursday.
- Spellings, Literacy and Numeracy homework will be given to pupils on Wednesday to be handed in the following Wednesday.
Things to remember
- PE Kit – Ensure your child’s PE kit is in school every day.
- Return homework on a Wednesday. (Including Bug Club)