Message from class teacher
Year 5 is another very busy year and Mrs. Watts and Mrs. Robinson aim to make it as enjoyable as possible, so that you learn well and achieve your true potential. This is your penultimate year at Byerley Park and we aim to ensure you are ready to take on the challenges that Year 5 will offer you in your educational journey.
Facts about the teacher
I have a son named John.
I like to read before bed every night.
Checkout our class photo gallery.
Year 5 is a very exciting and challenging time for our pupils. …..
In our Maths lessons this year we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- Place value, ordering and rounding
- Roman numerals
- Mental and written addition and subtraction strategies
- Understanding multiplication and division – written and mental calculation strategies
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Measuring and drawing angles
- Shape and Space including reasoning about shapes
- Data handling
In our English lessons this year, we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- In the Autumn term, the main class novel will be ‘Street Child’ linked to the Victorian topic, although a variety of other texts will be read.
- In the Spring term, texts will link to the Rivers topic, and Greeks in the Summer term.
- We will read and write stories, persuasion/arguments, reports, instructions, information/explanation, letters (formal and informal) and poetry.
- Children will also focus on improving spelling rules, punctuation, sentence structure, vocabulary and handwriting.
- Children will take part in Wow Writing every week which will often be linked to topics.
- Throughout the year, in science, the pupils will learn about properties and changes of materials; living things and their habitats as well as animals (including humans); Earth and Space; and Forces.
History, Geography, DT, computing and Art:
In the Autumn term, the topic is the Victorians. Certain subjects will be linked to it, for example, texts in Literacy and the work we produce in Art. Also, they will learn about digital literacy.
In French, the pupils will be learning to talk about holidays and in RE they will be learning about Sikhism.
Throughout the Spring term the topic is Rivers and certain subjects will be linked to it. For example, children will be investigating rivers within Geography. Also, they will use ICT to evaluate information. During this term, the children will visit Robinwood.
Other areas of the curriculum will be Art, D.T, R.E. and French.
During the Summer term the topic is the Ancient Greeks and certain subjects will be linked to it. Also, the pupils will use ICT to learn about Digital Literacy.
P.E. will take place throughout the year. Areas included will be attacking and defending games, dance, gymnastics and athletics. Orienteering will also take place.The pupils will have swimming lessons in the Spring term.
Trips and Events
- 3rd October: Skipping Day
- 4th October: Trip to Beamish
- 15th – 19th October: Safety Week
- 16th – 17th October: Parents’ evenings
- 9th November: KS2 Remembrance Service 9:30am
- 16th November: Children in Need
- 11th December: Christmas Jumper Day and Christmas lunch
- 17th December: KS2 Carol Service 9:30am and 2:15pm
- 18th December: Theatre Production in school (Sleeping Beauty)
- 20th December: Y5 and 6 Christmas Party
- 8th January: Swimming begins (14 sessions)
- 16th January: KS2 Judo Taster morning
- 6th – 8th February: Trip to Robinwood
- 4th April: KS2 Talent Show
- 24th April: Hardwick Park outward bounds
- 20th May – 24th May: Sports Week
- 22nd May: Sports Day
- 21st June: Multiskills event at St. Mary’s School
- 1st July: Cricket event
- 10th July: KS2 Performance 2:15pm
- 11th July: KS2 Performance 9:30am
- Reading – Please try to hear your child read as often as possible and change their home reading book every other week on a Monday.
- Wednesday – Children will discuss their WOW writing topic with you in preparation for WOW writing on Thursday.
- Spelling rules and words to learn will be given as homework on Monday to be handed in the following Monday.
- Maths homework, to consolidate classwork, will be given on a Friday to be handed in the following Friday.
Things to remember
- PE Kit – Ensure your child’s PE kit is in school every day.
- Return spelling homework on a Monday.
- Return maths homework on a Friday.
- Complete a home reading book every 2 weeks.