Message from class teacher
Welcome to the Year 5 Class with Mrs Pattison and Mrs Wimbury. Mrs Pattison is the Deputy Head and teaches the class all week apart from Friday when Mr Gargan takes over. Mrs Wimbury is our Teaching Assistant. In Year 5 our work is split into three topics. In Autumn Term we learn all about the Victorians, in Spring Term we study Rivers, and in Summer Term we learn all about the Ancient Greeks.
Facts about the teacher
- Has two lovely children.
- Loves Pilates
- Likes Lipstick!
Checkout our class photo gallery.
Our work will link, as much as possible, to the topics we study during each term, so that the children can make stronger and more memorable links in their learning. In Upper Key Stage 2 we not only work very hard, but we also have lots of fun in the process!
Spring Term Curriculum
In our Maths lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- Place value, ordering and rounding
- Mental and written addition and subtraction strategies
- Understanding multiplication and division/ Mental Calculation strategies
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Measuring and drawing angles
- Shape and Space including reasoning about shapes
In our English lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- This term, the children will learn through texts linked with our topic of Rivers.
- We will read and write Stories, Instructions and Poetry.
- Children will also focus on improving spelling rules, punctuation, sentence structure, vocabulary and handwriting.
- Children will take part in Wow Writing every week which will be linked to the Rivers Topic where possible.
In the Autumn term, the topic is the Victorians. Certain subjects will be linked to it, for example texts in Literacy and the work we produce in Art. Also, they will learn about digital literacy.
- In French the pupils will be learning to talk about other countries and in RE they will be learning about Sikhism.
Throughout the Spring term the topic is Rivers and certain subjects will be linked to it. For example, children will be investigating rivers within Geography. Also, they will use ICT to evaluate information. During this term, the children will visit Robinwood.
- Other areas of the curriculum will be Art, D.T, R.E. and French. The pupils will have swimming lessons this term.
During the Summer term the topic is the Ancient Greeks and certain subjects will be linked to it. Also, the pupils will use ICT to monitor the environment around them and learn about Digital Literacy.
- Other areas of the curriculum will be P.E which will be cricket, athletics and Bikeability. We will also be doing a lot of computing and digital literacy work.
- In science, the pupils will learn Living things and their habitats as well as Animals, including humans.
Trips and Events:
- Room 13 @ Greenfield – 6th September 2017.
- Trip to Beamish – 4th October 2017
- Taekwondo – weekly for 10 weeks starting 5th October 2017.
- E-Safety Theatre Show – 6th October 2017.
- Parents’ Evening – 10th and 11th October 2017.
- Space Themed Week – 30th October – 3rd November 2017.
- Lego We Do – 31st October 2017.
- Remembrance Service -9:30 10th November 2017.
- Children in Need – 17th November 2017.
- Swimming – 5th and 12th December 2017.
- Christmas Jumper Day and Christmas Lunch – 14th December 2017.
- Theatre Production in school (Dick Whittington) – 15th December 2017.
- Y5/6 Christmas Party – 19th December 2017.
- Swimming – 10 further sessions starting 9th January 2018.
- Room 13 @ Greenfield – 17th January 2018.
- School photos – 24th January 2018.
- Robinwood – 7th -9th February 2018.
- Dorman Museum visit – 22nd February 2018.
- World Book Day – 1st March 2018.
- Parents’ Evening – 20th and 21st March 2018.
- Dance Festival – afternoon of 27th March 2018.
- KS2 Talent Show – 28th March 2018.
- Hoopstarz Day – 17th April 2018.
- FISCH project – weekly for ten weeks starting 25th April 2018.
- OAA @ Hardwick Park – 26th April 2018.
- Sports Week – 21st – 25th MAy 2018.
- Sports Day – 23rd May 2018.
- Y5 to Greenfield Taster Day – 12th June 2018.
- KS2 Production – am 4th and am 5th July 2018.
- Y5 Cricket Festival – 9th July 2018.
- Open Evening – 18th July 2018 (3:30pm – 4:30pm)
- Reading – Please try to hear your child read three times a week and record in their Reading Record Book.
- Wednesday – Children will be given a short task to complete, in preparation for WOW writing on Thursday.
- Spellings, Literacy and Numeracy homework will be given to pupils on Wednesday to be handed in the following Wednesday.
Things to remember
- PE Kit – Ensure your child’s PE kit is in school every day.
- Return homework on a Wednesday.