Message from class teacher
Welcome to our Year One class. Mrs Reed and Mrs Tyrell are the Year One teachers, with support from Mrs North. In Year One, we love challenges, working hard and playing hard too!
Facts about the teacher
- enjoys family time
- likes all things dotty!
- enjoys taking her little boy on trips to the park
Checkout our class photo gallery.
Mrs Reed and Mrs Tyrell are the Year 1 Class Teachers and we have a full-time Teaching Assistant, Mrs North.
Children in Year 1 take part in a mix of ‘hands on’ practical learning experiences and more formal experiences.
Our topics are ‘All About Me’, ‘Materials’ and ‘Famous Folk’.
Spring Term Curriculum
In our Maths lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
- Count reliably up to 20 objects
- Count on and back in ones from any small number
- Read and write numbers to at least 10
- Know one more and one less than numbers to 20
- Use +, – and = signs
- Know by heart addition doubles (1 + 1, 2 + 2 etc)
- Recognise coins and find totals up to 10p
- Name and describe familiar 2-D and 3-D shapes (square, cube etc)
In our English lessons this term we will be concentrating on the following topics:
Children will look at stories and rhymes with familiar settings or predictable patterns. They will read and follow instructions, write signs and make labels and lists.
- Generate a list of rhyming words
- Hear, read and write the middle sounds in simple words
- Write simple words by hearing the sounds and writing the correct letter
- Write captions and simple sentences
- Recognise and start to use full-stops and capital letters
- Continue to practise forming lower case letters correctly.
Children will name and describe the properties of common materials using their senses. They will identify objects made out of different materials and be able to suggest reasons why a material would be suitable or unsuitable for a particular object.
Monday – Reading book
Tuesday – Short numeracy task and a group reading book
Wednesday – Children will be given a short task to complete, in preparation for WOW writing on Thursday and a reading book
Thursday – Short phonics activity (to begin preparing children for the phonics test in June 2017) and a reading book
Friday – Reading book
Things to remember
PE Kit – Tuesday and Thursday (no ear-rings please)
Reading book – Every day
What is happening
January 22nd – OSHL Clubs begin (for 7 weeks)
January 24th – Individual and sibling photographs
February 9th – Theatre Production ‘The Wind in the Willows’
February 9th – Break up
February 19th – Return to school
March 15th – Alun Armstrong Centre Football Centre
March 20th & 21st – Parents’ Evenings
March 20th & 21st – Art Exhibition
March 28th – Last day
March 16th – Return to school